How To Lose the Interest of a Four Year Old and Eleven Year Old

My niece, Deena, was just sitting next to me. She looks in the crack of my door and asks what I'm doing. I tell her I'm going to be writing in just a minute on my computer. She says, oh, can I come in? I look at her and say, sure, but you can't touch anything. She looks around and puts one foot tentatively in my room, not touching it down. I chuckle a little bit and tell her she can touch the floor and my bed. So, she climbs on up and snuggles up next to me. I start to open a web page to get to my blog and she glances at the door. Her sister, Jessica, is standing there with a fierce looking k'nex machine she made. Deena hops off the bed and says, I'm going to go play. What? The thrill of my words aren't competition for k'nex? I don't get that. But then again, I haven't been four for a very long time. :).

This wasn't what I was intending to write about, but then again, I rarely have a subject in mind when I start these things. I think it makes it all the more fun to struggle for the first few sentences before something evolves into what looks like a subject.

My nephew, Jimmy just happened by my door. He looks in and I ask, what's up? (You have to sound cool to an 11 year old...actually if you're over 30, which I am, you should never 'try' to sound cool because it just comes out that you're trying to sound cool, which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place.) Anyway, I asked what's up. He says nothing (the usual response), but then comes in and asks if I just got up (Sunday nap...yea!). I tell him I've been up for about a half hour. He says, oh. He hops onto my bed next to me and shows me what he's actually been doing instead of nothing. He has a picture of a warrior centaur. Jim has always been into drawing manga-like characters. Ever since he discovered them, at what, age 2? Help me out, imaginary cyberspace friend. My memory isn't what it used to be. I am 30 years old after all ;). I look at the drawing and proclaim that it is fierce and would most likely kill anyone in its path. Jimmy looks pleased with that and asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm writing a blog entry. He says, oh. I say, really interesting, huh? He just laughs a little and glances at the door. He slides off the bed and goes to play. Dang. Once again my words lose against playing.

Okay. Subject. What are you going to be? Hmmm...looking up at what I've got so far, I think I have my subject. P.S. I always write my title after I complete a blog entry :). Wait...where are you going, imaginary cyberspace friend!? You can't leave me. It's in your job contract to stay even if you would rather be playing....
On second thought, I think I might go play :).

Comments

  1. Thanks for letting them bother you instead of me so I could get a Sunday nap, too. :) And, Jimmy's been drawing everyday since he was 3. He started out with animals, then it was Pokemon, now it's warriors and weapons and monsters. I'm hoping he makes millions some day and can provide for me in my old age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, imaginary cyberspace friend, er, Jenna :). Thanks for letting me use your kids for inspiration :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts