Running in Cool, Crisp Autumn Air

First off, I really need a computer lap desk. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it is very hard to find a comfortable position for a 16.5 inch laptop sitting squarely on your lap when you don't want to be sitting up. So, it is right now propped up on my stomach and thighs at an angle as I lounge on the bed with two pillows propping me up. We'll see how long this lasts....

Okay, subject of the day. Running. I actually have a topic in mind even before I start writing! This hasn't happened for awhile, has it, imaginary cyberspace friend. So, as we all know I am in Utah to get residency to go back to school next year. (You know I really should know the titles to my own blog entries because I want to reference them sometimes, but it always seems like such hard to work to go look them up, so look back at the one around July 1st that has to do with my big decision of the year if you are new to this blog. I know that's probably a reach to expect anyone to be new, but one can always dream ;)) So, I'm in Utah. For a year before I start school. And yes, I know I wrote that at the beginning of the paragraph, but if you took the time to look up the referenced blog entry, you might have forgotten in the lapsed time, so I'm just helping you out. Seriously, you should see me right now with the laptop...it is starting to dig into my ribs. Wow. I am seeing shiny all over the place tonight. Focus, Stefanie. So, I met this man last night (mom, notice that I am using the word man and not boy) who is very into running. Now, for those who don't know me, or for those who do, but don't know this, about 3 and a half years ago, I joined a gym in Prosser. It was here that I learned kickboxing (okay, shiny), but I also started to attempt to run. Man, you should have seen me back then. I would walk and then pump the treadmill up to something like a 4.5 and jog for 30 seconds, then go back to walking. I think I worked my way up to a minute before I moved to the Tri-Cities, but the seed was there. I moved into my apartment and there was a little gym there with a treadmill. So, I started to made the intervals of running longer. 1.5 minutes, then two, then 2.5 until I was running a good 15 minutes with only a little break here and there. (Then, I would usually walk for 5 minutes and start the whole process over again) Those little breaks became my crutch. Whenever I felt like I was too winded or that I had been running for too long, I stepped off the treadmill and took a drink or wiped my face and then got back on. I started to run outside, which I found was much more difficult, so I had to build up again. But I still had my crutch of when it got too hard, I stopped or slowed. I never truly pushed myself. I knew I was getting into better and better shape, but then I plateaued. Oh, the dreadful word called plateau. In nature it can be beautiful. A raised flat piece of land that can go on for awhile, but when you are trying to change your body a plateau is not beautiful. It is rather ugly, imaginary cyberspace friend. And I know most of us have been there. So, I've been there for awhile. Running the same distance, walking at the same intervals, running in rhythm to my music, using the perfect playlist for running this same run. So, I met this man last night (and yes, again I know said that earlier in the paragraph, but just making sure you remembered). He has this passion and skill for running that just sparked something in me. We spent probably an hour just walking around this park track thing and talking about running. I had never done that before. I had always relied on the knowledge I gained from books or magazines to get me through. But to hear another person's personal experiences with the sport, to see the effect it had on someone's life was really, really cool. Then, I got to see his medals from all the races he's been in and a fire just started to grow inside of me. I wanted that. I wanted to beat all the odds that have been placed in my way and just run them over.

What is all this leading up to, you might be asking? Well, this morning I woke up and the fire that was ignited last night was still burning, so I made a plan to run after work. I get home, ask my brother-in-law, Dave, if he has any reflective gear for me to wear (he does...yeah, didn't even know about this stuff until about two weeks ago, but it's important if you're running at night, so people can see you...I guess ;)), strap it on, put a heart-rate monitor on, and stick my ear buds in my ears. Pump up the music and after a brief warm-up, start running. I have told myself that I am going to run for 15 minutes without stopping (i.e. using my crutch). So, I'm running along and it seems like it is such a struggle to find my pace. I'm not slowing down and my body, for the first 10 minutes is wondering why? But I ignore my body (if it seemed like there was actually something wrong besides my body just wanting to be lazy, then I would have stopped or slowed to a walk...this is just for legal reasons, imaginary cyberspace friend). And I keep running. Well, 15 minutes goes by and I have hit my stride. I didn't want to stop, so I said to myself, I'll go 20 minutes. That's been the maximum I've ever gone without stopping before and wow was that an accomplishment. 20 minutes comes...and goes. Feet are still pounding the pavement. The stars are twinkling above me, and the cool, crisp Autumn air surrounds me. Music is in the background, urging me forward. My mind is clear and my body is doing what it has been training to do (although I didn't realize it at the time)...running. 41 minutes. And I only stop because I have come back to the beginning of the neighborhood. 41 minutes without stopping. And after that first 10 minutes, I felt great (you know until I saw the beginning of the neighborhood and realized it was coming to an end and my body said...I've been running for 41 minutes and I'm a little tired). 

I think I might have burst through my plateau.

Oh, and for all of those worried about the computer position...it went from the stomach to the bed with me hunched over it to the little side table with me laying stomach down on the bed typing at almost eye level.

I took this picture after I got done running...no make-up and hair a hot mess. I love it.

Comments

  1. Wow! You are so awesome. Way to dive through those plateaus. I'm working through my own right now. I wish they had marathons just for swimming. With my asthma running is hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts