South Dakota Anyone?

So, I'm sitting here on my sister's bed after my first day at a new store and I'm thinking...what the heck was I thinking? I mean I know it's only been one day, but sheesh. I don't think I like being a bookseller without the power. My sister asked me a question off of a little question game key ring yesterday that said what is the hardest thing you've ever had to do. I answered this was. I feel like I dumped my whole life I had built out the window to pursue something that would eventually give my passion wings. But it's hard to remember that in the end it will be worth it when you're in the midst of the five years before the passion can take wing. And it's only the first week of the five years. I don't know why this is so hard. The only thing I can think of is that I'm older this time around. I am older and I don't like change. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a place in this world. You know what I mean, imaginary cyberspace friend? Of course you do, you're imaginary! You don't exist, therefore you don't have a place in this world. Interesting. I wonder if others feel this way, too. You go along and try to find the little niche that was meant just for you. But finding that niche is the tricky part. At least it has been for me. I feel sort of transient right now. Like I could disappear into the world and no one would be able to find me. When my money runs out, that where I stay (probably wouldn't be too far away...say, South Dakota). I did actually think about that this morning. Just taking off in my car and seeing where the road took me. But, dang it! Why do I have to be a responsible adult? So, I didn't. I left for work an hour and a half before my shift and toured around my store for a half hour before my shift started. It's a nice store. Not as big as Kennewick, but still very nice. It has odd angles to it. Ugh. Bookseller. I'll get over it and swallow my pride (what little is left). Barnes & Noble in Kennewick was really my second family. It's kinda crazy to think of the people you worked with as family, but that's how I've felt for a long time. I knew I could count on them (well, most of them...:)). Now I'm just babbling. Oh, well. It's my thoughts and this is what I've been thinking about. South Dakota does sound kind of nice right now....

Comments

  1. I'm waving from North Dakota right now... it's really cold up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what you mean. Even having the "ideal" life of a husband and two kids, I still feel very much alone and unliked. Good for you to put yourself out them with how you are feeling. No matter our circumstances, we can still find ourselves lost and in limbo. Dave is applying to job and one of places he chose to work is South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts