15 Things I Wish I Had Known 15 Years Ago


I woke up this morning thinking about my life. I laid in bed and came up with 15 things I wish I had known 15 years ago. I figure, I'm 30 now, so half my life could have benefited from this information. Here goes!

1) Exercise is my friend. Who cares what the boys think when you're shaking your thing in the gym!

2) Corn is subsidized by the government and therefore, is very cheap and processed into just about everything I eat that has a package around it. It has many names including, but not limited to modified or unmodified starch, glucose syrup, maltodextrin, crystalline fructose, ascorbic acid, lecithin, dextrose, lactic acid, lysine, maltose, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), MSG, polyols, caramel color and xanthan gum (Source: Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan). And the only name that has any sort of nutritional value is corn, plain and simple.

3) Hand in hand with number 2 is the government is not my friend when it comes to diet. The poorest of us are the unhealthiest of us because processed food, made with processed (all the nutritional value of the grain has been taken out) ingredients subsidized by the government, is the cheapest thing out there, therefore the thing one with a limited budget will buy. Plus, we've become lazy and don't cook anymore, so we don't know what we're putting in our mouths. This includes me. Put that frozen burrito down!

4) The Carpenter's are cool.

5) Friendships are important, but family is forever, so be friends with your family.

6) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true, so start reading your scriptures!

7) Your heart will be broken many times, but it's not the end of the world. So, stop being so dramatic and know that there will always be another boy that might be the one you will be able share all that is inside of you. Until that time comes, don't eat your feelings!!

8) Oh, you're still single by 30, so really, really enjoy your 20's and don't worry about it. Heck, maybe if I had enjoyed my 20s more, I wouldn't be single ;).

9) Your metabolism is not the way your body burns calories. Your metabolism is your biochemistry, your hormones. I know you think hormones are only something women have and that they only have to do with your period and why you are so cranky before it, but really, hormones are what make you go (or not go). (Source: Master Your Metabolism, Jillian Michaels) So, I say again, put down that frozen burrito and get off your butt!

10) Boys really, really don't get girls.

11) Girls really, really don't get boys.

12) You are not the best singer out there.

13) Because you are not the best singer out there, as you will discover in your first week in college, do not get discouraged and decide to go into History because it was an okay subject for you in high school (i.e. it was easy and didn't require proper grammar...ha! I had to write more papers for that degree than if I was an English major and do more research than if I was a science major). A BA in History is not marketable! Especially when you don't want to teach high school.

14) Don't be afraid to ask for help (this I am still learning, so I guess it's not something I know quite yet, but it 's still good advice nonetheless).

15) It's okay to love yourself. God does. That makes it okay.


Well, since I can't go back in time and tell my 15 year old self this, I have to tell my 30 year old self this. Learn from the past and move into a brighter future. I'm going to because I've learned it's never to late when I have a breath in my body to change and learn and grow.

Comments

  1. You should write a book. I'm serious. I LOVE the Carpenters, too!! And, I agree with everything you said. You're the best and I'm glad we're friends now because 15 years ago, we sure weren't! :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Mark says he likes 11 and 12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Mark meant 10 and 11... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in agreement with Melanie! You better be writing a book! This is some of the funniest stuff I have seen in a while! And you are really right on with it! I may be your mom, but I am here to tell you that you are one of the most fantastic people to ever walk the planet! And, again, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with 10 and 11. 12 I disagree with. You are a wonderful singer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts