Ode to Wonderful Customers

The day after I posted Peaks and Valleys, I came into work in a badddd mood. I hate being in a bad mood and I was trying everything to get out of it, but nothing was working. I couldn't fake my happiness however much I wanted to and I guess it showed even to the customers. And thank goodness because then I would never have had the 61 year old toothless angel with an accent comment on it. He said, "You look like you want to go home." And I said, "Sorry, does it look that obvious?" Then, we joked about leaving right then and how the "boss lady" wouldn't be too happy and that I really did need my paycheck and such like that. Then, he got this look on his face and became very serious for a moment. He looked at me and said something along the lines of "stay focused, stay on track, be patient, life will get better, stay the course and be happy, I'm 61 and that seems to be working for me." There was more, but what really hit me was the stay the course and stay focused and be patient. I NEEDED to hear that on that day. I just stood there for a moment after he left and thought about it, a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth. I looked at Marin, who was standing there with me and said, "wow, I really needed to hear that. He is so correct." And let me tell you why he was correct. I have a quote on my door as I leave my apartment that says, "Nothing good in life comes without hard work...Stay the course." This is a quote by Jillian Michaels, the Biggest Loser trainer and as far as I'm concerned the best course to go if you are going to lose weight (but I am sure we will have another blog on that). I was in my valley at the moment before this gentleman came along looking at the mountains all around me and not knowing where to go! I just felt so tired of climbing! He helped me to start climbing again. When I wanted to give up and admit defeat in every aspect of my life, whether it be love, weight, work or otherwise, my 61 year old toothless angel with an accent was sent to me.

One other thing happened that boosted me out of my valley that day. I was getting ready to leave for the day and decided to do one more thing (it always happens because there is always more to do!). So, I went back out onto the floor and put some reusable totes on the rack as my parting gift to the store. I was walking back to the break room through the Bargain area when a nice man stopped me. I had helped him the day before find and order something for his daughter. I gave my usual excellent customer service and I guess it made an impression on him. He asked if I remembered him and I said, yes, of course, what can I do for you. He asked what my name was again and I held up my name tag and said, "Stefanie." He then said, "Stefanie, I have a couple of questions for you...do you want to go out with me?" I just stared at him and felt the flush reach up and flame my cheeks. I had to tell him no because I don't date customers and I felt really bad about that, but wow. What a shot in the arm. I felt really attractive and awesome after that. And on my way up out of the valley. Man, the mountain air is wonderful...

Comments

  1. That's fantastic that both of these men took time out to make your day. We need more people like that in the world, to help us all get through it. But I have a question for you, why don't you date customers? You're at work most of the time, so it seems a great place to meet new people. Just wondering. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts