Two of My Favorite Things

Hmmm...what to write about tonight. I'm going to write about music and boys. These are two of my favorite things in the world. One I get. The other, not so much. Guess which, imaginary cyberspace friend. I was just scrolling through my iTunes library and was kind of amazed at how these two things are so interconnected for me. Not only do I have the love songs that remind me of certain boys, but I have so many artists on there because boys I liked, liked them, so I thought I should, too. Lame. Don't get me wrong, the love songs that I like way outnumber the "boy" songs. And there are some artists that I've been introduced to that I genuinely still like even long after the crush has faded. For example: Billy Joel. This was probably the first artist I thought I should like because of a boy. His name was well, not important, although those who knew me back then will probably know. I was a senior in high school and was in my first play (a musical called Don't Rock the Boat...ever heard of it, imaginary cyberspace friend? Yeah, didn't think so). I had a crush on a freshman who was in the same play. He was 14 and hot (I was only 17...it was perfectly legal). I had a license and a car, he did not. Plus, we were neighbors. So, I got to drive him home from rehearsal. Win. One day we were driving home and Billy Joel's "Piano Man" comes on the radio and we debate as to who the singer is. I say it's Billy Joel (duh) and he said some other singer I can't remember now. We end up betting a quarter and calling the radio station. I win (duh). I get a quarter and a love for Billy Joel. The crush faded as it should have as I turned 18 and he was still 15 (not so legal). Shortly after that I ended up buying his greatest hits Cd's. I've had it with me ever since, although I didn't really appreciated his music until several years later.

I have a lot of Celine Dion. She just happens to be my favorite singer in the entire world. Those who know me, know this. She kind of epitomizes my relationship with boys and music. I used to listen to songs like "I Love You" and "Dreamin' of You" and just dream (haha) about someone I could sing them to. That dream has since died (whoa...that's a whole other post), but every once in a while I will listen to them and see a prince charming who doesn't know he loves me or does but has to work up the courage to tell me...we embrace and the song comes on over the loud speaker. Wait. What's happening? I was...somewhere else. (Speak of the devil...she just popped into my mix: "I Drove All Night" which has a connection to a boy from college although he did not like this CD so much, but it was the first time I freely sang to a boy...hasn't happened since).


Then, there are the songs that I keep hearing that would be perfect for the song that I will sing to my future spouse at my picture perfect reception (another dream that's a little more gray as each year passes by). Yeah. Over the years there's been anything from Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road" or "The Day Before You" to Celine Dion's "A New Day Has Come" to "At Last" to "All I Ask of You." There have been others, but at this point there is not one. There hasn't been a boy that I've wanted to marry, well, ever, and as I mature and grow, I realize there will never be a perfect song until I meet that perfect (for me) man. Who knows? If I ever get married, I may be singing "The Puppy Song" because we both love You've Got Mail. Probably not, but come and bring a great present (or cash) just to find out ;). I promise, I will sing, though.

Sigh. I love music. And boys.
Oh, the picture is from Hawaii. My sister-in-law, Katrina, conspired with me one day to take as many pictures of me with hot Polynesian men as we could. And yes, we used my nieces as...uh...bait.

Comments

  1. You like Celine Dion? I would have never guessed it :)
    I often think about what songs would be playing in the background if my life was a movie? I'm sure I would find a way of fitting Michael Buble as many times as possible. I also love Billy Joel ( I have a fantasy of someone singing 'For the Longest Time' to me). Josh Groban, Rascal Flats, Harry Connick Jr.- all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just hot Polynesian men, but hot, shirtless, Polynesian men! :) And two of them! I think you should come back and we'll add to the collection of pictures! Love and miss you, Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah! I forgot they had to be shirtless, too :D. I agree. I do need a bigger collection of pictures of me with hot, shirtless Polynesian men!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts